Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy First Day of February

Groundhog's day is tomorrow. According to folklore, if a groundhog emerging from its burrow on this day fails to see its shadow, it will leave the burrow, signifying that winter will soon end. If on the other hand, the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks. Will Punxsutawney Phil see his shadow this year?


Okay...Phil looks like he just smelled something really bad!! Eewwwwww...


I wonder how Punxsutawney Phil can continue predicting the weather for so many years and what this little fella does the other 364 days after his famous emergence each year? Well, funny I should wonder...according to Wikipedia...

Punxsutawney Phil fans say that there is only one Phil (all the other groundhog weathermen are imposters), and that he has made weather prognostications for over 120 years as of 2009. They say that every summer, Phil is fed a sip of the mysterious Groundhog Punch, which magically lengthens his life for seven years. This is done by Inner Circle members. According to the Groundhog Club, Phil, after making the prediction, speaks to the Club President in "Groundhogese", which only the Inner Circle appear to understand, and then his prediction is translated for the entire world.

I am hoping for a prediction of Spring, with all the daffodils, tulips and crocuses...how about you? I think this is starting to come through in my work, too. I just finished this sweet little girl, and she has me daydreaming about Spring.



Violet is being offered on Ebay this week. I hope you'll stop by and take a closer look.

Well today promises to be a busy one here. My to-do list is working well for me and I feel like I'm getting more accomplished. The only problem...it gets longer and longer everyday!! :-)

I wish you a blessed (and productive) day today!!! Susan

3 comments:

Tina said...

Violet is so sweet. Love her.
Happy Groundhog day. Hoping for Spring
T

Susan Walker said...

Thank you Tina! I am ready for warmer weather...I don't even need the 100 degree summer temps, just above freezing would be great. :-) Susan

Annie Beez said...

OOOOO I love Violet!! Good luck on your auction! Does Pux. Phil ever NOT see his shadow? I can't remember a time when they said winter would be shorter. LOL!!
Happy Groundhog Day, we're having a snow storm here in Chicago!!